INSTRUCTIONS FOR GRADUATION CANDIDATES
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE COMMENCEMENT
Thursday, May 14, 2015
Mississippi Coast Coliseum ~ Highway 90, Biloxi, MS
Please read instructions CAREFULLY. There will be no rehearsal for Graduation Ceremony.
CAP & GOWN PICK-UP
May 7 – 12, 2015
8:30 am – 4pm
If you indicated on your application for graduation that you will be participating in the commencement ceremony, your cap and gown will be available for pick-up at the campus you attend as indicated on your application. (see dates and times below).
|JACKSON COUNTY CAMPUS||PERKINSTON CAMPUS|
|Admissions Counseling Career Center, Room 102
|Huff Hall, Admissions Office
601-928-6258 or 601-928-6333
JEFFERSON DAVIS CAMPUS,
|GEORGE COUNTY CENTER|
|228-896-2517||Student Services Building
For your convenience, a printable invitation is available in PDF format. You may print the invitation yourself, or use the PDF file to have invitations professionally printed at a local printer or office supply company of your choice.
Provided by Candid Campus Photography
Thursday, May 14, 2015 (prior to ceremony)
4 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Mississippi Coast Coliseum (2nd level)
When your diploma is presented to you, the photographer will capture the image (smile, and keep your tassel to the side). The photographer will mail color proofs after graduation should you wish to purchase a photo.
A video recording of the graduation ceremony will be available at mgccc.edu several days following the event.
- Coliseum doors will open at 4:00 p.m. for candidates who wish to sit for a graduation portrait.
- ARRIVE BEFORE OR AT 5:45 P.M. ON THURSDAY, MAY 14
- ALL CANDIDATES FOR GRADUATION MUST ENTER AT THE SOUTH ENTRANCE OF THE COLISEUM. THIS IS NOT AN ENTRANCE FOR GUESTS! GUESTS ENTER THROUGH THE NORTH ENTRANCE.
- Pick-up your reader card and honors regalia (if applicable) when you arrive. From there, you will be directed to the line-up area.
- Graduates, park in the WEST and SOUTH PARKING LOT, and enter on the south side.
- GUESTS arriving in cars separate from the candidates should be told ahead of time by the candidates to park in those areas and enter the coliseum on the north side.
- You should hang your cap and gown on a hanger a few days prior to graduation to allow time for the wrinkles to release. The gowns are rented and must be returned; therefore, THEY MAY NOT BE ALTERED.
- ARRIVE AT THE COLISEUM NO LATER THAN 5:45 P.M. CORRECTLY DRESSED IN CAPS AND GOWNS.
- Female candidates should wear dark shoes and dresses of a length that will not show below the hemlines of their graduation gowns. When choosing your shoes, keep in mind that you may be standing for an extended period.
- Male candidates should wear dark slacks, white or light colored shirts, ties and appropriate dark shoes. Male graduates should remove their caps during the invocation and benediction.
- The tassel on the cap should hang left front, halfway between the corners. Honor graduates (GPA 3.3 – 3.7) will wear the gold tassel instead of the blue that comes with the cap. Graduates with high honors (GPA 3.7 – 4.0) will wear the gold tassel and the gold chord. Chords and tassels will be available at the Phi Theta Kappa and Alpha Beta Gamma inductees have the option of wearing honor society stoles. Please contact your sponsor for further instructions.
Providing your guests with these instructions will make their experience more enjoyable.
- Coliseum doors will open at 4:00 p.m.
- Ceremony events will begin promptly at 6:30 p.m. Guests should allow time for travel and parking. Traffic becomes extremely heavy between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. parking is difficult. Commencement begins at 7 p.m.
- PARKING: Guests should park in the WEST PARKING LOT
- ENTRANCE: Guests should enter through the NORTH ENTRANCE. Guests MAY NOT enter the South entrance with graduates.
- FOLLOWING THE CEREMONY: PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE STAGE AREA.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS FOR DISABLED GUESTS
- Guests with physical disabilities who cannot climb the stairs to seating should enter designated area for seating. Limited handicapped seating is available on the coliseum floor One additional person may accompany disabled guests in handicapped seating area. Handicapped seating is also available on the terrace level behind sections 6, 9, 20 and 22. Elevators are located in both lobbies (Please see an usher if you need assistance).
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS FOR GRADUATES WITH DISABILITIES
Candidates who need accommodations due to physical disabilities should notify Disability Support Specialist or Dean of Student Services at the appropriate campus by May 4.
- Candidates and their guests should conduct themselves in a dignified manner, respecting the rights of others at the ceremony.
- Cell phones should be silenced.
- Please pay attention to the row monitors who will sit to the left and right of the graduate seating. They will direct you to stand and sit at the appropriate time. In addition, the podium speaker will also have instructions for you, please pay attention.
PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT
4:00 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.
- Arrive at coliseum and enter through the SOUTH ENTRANCE.
- Sit for graduation portrait (optional) on the second level.
- Pick-up your reader cards
5:45 p.m. – 6:20 p.m.
- You will line up according to the number and zone on your card. (You will hand this card to the college employee on stage. The college employee will read your name from the cards as you march across the stage. If your name is difficult to pronounce, please provide the phonetic spelling below your name). College employees will be available to organize the lines.
6:20 p.m. – 6:45 p.m.
- Remain in your designated ZONE and be prepared to process in order beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- Processional begins. Students will march onto the coliseum floors in rows of two behind the platform guests. Floor Marshalls will guide you to the appropriate row.
- Walk to the end of the row and remain standing until the invocation has been given.
- The processional will begin promptly at 7:00 p.m.
- Candidates will march in, following the platform guest and sit in the front section of chairs surrounded by the green curtain on the Coliseum floor.
- After entering, candidates will remain standing until the invocation has been given. Candidates will remain seated during the speaker’s presentations.
- At the conclusion of the presentation, the President will ask all candidates to stand to have their degrees conferred.
CROSSING THE STAGE
- WATCH THE ROW MONITORS. Each row of graduates will stand, walk together in a single file line to the stage ramp.
- Hand your name cards to the college employee as you approach the stage.
- When your name is called, walk onto the stage, shake President Dr. Mary S. Graham’s hand, receive a diploma case, (photographer will snap photo) walk off the stage and return to your seat. (Your diploma will not be in the case that you receive. You will pick-up your diploma following commencement when you return your gown).
- DIPLOMAS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE UNTIL THE CEREMONY HAS ENDED AND GRADUATES MARCH-OUT. Please do not enter the backstage area before the ceremony has ended.
- After all graduates have returned to their seats, everyone will be asked to rise for the benediction.
- Graduates will march behind platform guests while Pomp and Circumstance plays and continue through the SOUTH CORRIDOR to the backstage area to return gowns and retrieve diploma.
DUE TO LIMITED SPACE, FAMILY AND GUESTS SHOULD NOT ACCOMPANY GRADUATES BACKSTAGE.
RETURNING YOUR GOWN
- You will proceed backstage to return your gown to the appropriate table (return tables will be set up in alphabetical order).
- You must return your gown to the table designated with the first letter of your last name.
- You may keep your cap, tassels, and gold cords. Robes and collars must be returned.
Diplomas & Yearbooks
- After returning gown, you will be given your diploma and a college yearbook at the return stations. Please check the diploma before leaving the return area to be sure it is the correct one.
GRADUATES EXIT COLISEUM
Graduates will exit the backstage area via the west entrance – signage will indicate exit direction.
Thank you for choosing Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College! Congratulations and Best Wishes!