INSTRUCTIONS FOR GRADUATION CANDIDATES
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE COMMENCEMENT
Thursday, May 9, 2013
Mississippi Coast Coliseum ~ Highway 90, Biloxi, MS
UPDATED April 4, 2013
Please read instructions CAREFULLY. There will be no rehearsal for Graduation Ceremony.
CAP/GOWN & NAME CARD PICK-UP
You will pick-up your cap and gown from the campus where you applied for graduation (see dates and times below). You will receive two cards with your name, designated honors (if applicable), a line number and zone number printed on each. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT YOU BRING THESE CARDS WITH YOU TO THE CEREMONY. These cards will be used for processional line-up and to call your name as you walk across the stage to receive your diploma. If your name is difficult to pronounce, please provide the phonetic spelling below your name on the card.
|JACKSON COUNTY CAMPUS||PERKINSTON CAMPUS|
|May 7 from 8am - 4 pm|
Warner Peterson Administration Building, Room A
|May 7 & 8 from 9 am - 4 pm|
Huff Hall, Admissions Office
601-928-6258 or 601-928-6333
|JEFFERSON DAVIS CAMPUS & NAVAL CONSTRUCTION BATTALION CENTER||GEORGE COUNTY CENTER|
|May 7 from 8am - 4pm|
Student Services Building, Room U-202
|May 7 & 8 from 8 am - 4:30 pm|
Student Services Building
For your convenience, a printable invitation is available in PDF format.
From 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. on the second level, Candid Campus Photography will take professional portraits. When your diploma is presented to you, a photographer will capture the image (smile, and keep your tassel to the side). The photographer will mail color proofs after graduation should you wish to purchase a photo.
Students may order and pay for Graduation ceremony video by clicking here.
- Coliseum doors will open at 4:00 p.m. for candidates who wish to sit for a graduation portrait.
- ARRIVE BEFORE OR AT 5:45 P.M. ON THURSDAY, MAY 9
- ALL CANDIDATES FOR GRADUATION MUST ENTER AT THE SOUTH ENTRANCE OF THE COLISEUM. THIS IS NOT AN ENTRANCE FOR GUESTS! GUESTS ENTER THROUGH THE NORTH ENTRANCE.
- Graduates, park in the WEST and SOUTH PARKING LOT, and enter on the south side.
- Guests arriving in cars separate from the candidates should be told ahead of time by the candidates to park in those areas and enter the coliseum on the north side.
- You should hang your cap and gown on a hanger a few days prior to graduation to allow time for the wrinkles to release. The graduation gowns are rented and must be returned; therefore, THEY MAY NOT BE ALTERED.
- ARRIVE AT THE COLISEUM NO LATER THAN 5:45 P.M. CORRECTLY DRESSED IN CAPS AND GOWNS.
- Female candidates should wear dark shoes and dresses of a length that will not show below the hemlines of their graduation gowns.
- Male candidates should wear dark slacks, white or light colored shirts, ties and appropriate dark shoes. Male graduates should remove their caps during the invocation and benediction.
- The tassel on the cap should hang left front, halfway between the corners. Honor graduates will wear the gold tassel instead of the blue that comes with the cap. Phi Theta Kappa and Alpha Beta Gamma inductees have the option of wearing honor society stoles. Please contact your sponsor for further instructions.
Providing your guests with these instructions will make their experience more enjoyable.
- Graduation will begin promptly at 7 p.m. Guests should allow time for travel and parking. Traffic becomes extremely heavy between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. and parking is difficult.
- Coliseum doors will open at 4:00 p.m.
- PARKING: Guests should park in the WEST PARKING LOT
- ENTRANCE: Guests should enter through the NORTH ENTRANCE. Guests MAY NOT enter the South entrance with you.
- FOLLOWING THE CEREMONY: PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE STAGE AREA.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS FOR DISABLED GUESTS
- Guests with physical disabilities who cannot climb the stairs to seating should use the elevator to be transported to seating. Handicapped seating is available on the Terrace Level behind sections 6, 9, 20 and 22. Elevators are located in both lobbies (Please see an usher if you need assistance).
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS FOR GRADUATES WITH DISABILITIES
Candidates who need accommodations due to physical disabilities should notify Dean of Student Services at the appropriate campus by May 2.
- Candidates and their guests should conduct themselves in a dignified manner, respecting the rights of others at the ceremony.
- Cell phones should be silenced.
- Please pay attention to the row monitors who will sit to the left and right of the graduate seating. They will direct you to stand and sit at the appropriate time. In addition, the podium speaker will also have instructions for you, please pay attention.
PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT
4:00 p.m. - 5:45 p.m.
- Arrive at coliseum and enter through the SOUTH ENTRANCE.
- Sit for graduation portrait (optional) on the second level.
5:45 p.m. - 6:20 p.m.
- Report to your ZONE for line-up. When you pick-up your cap and gown, you will receive two name cards. PLEASE BRING THE CARDS WITH YOU TO THE GRADUATION CEREMONY AND REPORT TO YOUR DESIGNATED ZONE PRINTED ON THE CARD. You will line up according to the number on your card in the designated zone. College employee will be available to organize the lines. (You will hand this card to the college employee on stage. The college employee will read your name from the cards as you march across the stage. If your name is difficult to pronounce, please provide the phonetic spelling below your name).
6:20 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
- Remain in your designated ZONE and be prepared to process in order beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- Processional begins. Students will process onto the coliseum floors in rows of two behind the platform guests. Floor Marshalls will guide you to the appropriate row.
- Walk to the end of the row and remain standing until the invocation has been given.
- Graduation will begin promptly at 7:00 p.m.
- Candidates will march in, following the platform guest and sit in the front section of chairs surrounded by the green curtain on the Coliseum floor.
- After entering, candidates will remain standing until the invocation has been given. Candidates will remain seated during the speakers presentations.
- At the conclusion of the presentation, the President will ask all candidates to stand to have their degrees conferred.
CROSSING THE STAGE
- WATCH THE ROW MONITORS. Each row of graduates will stand, walk together in a single file line to the stage ramp.
- Hand your name cards to a college employee as you approach the stage. When your name is called, walk onto the stage, shake President Dr. Mary S. Graham's hand, receive a diploma case, pause for photography walk off the stage and return to your seat. (Your diploma will not be in the case that you receive. You will pick-up your diploma following commencement when you return your gown). DIPLOMAS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE UNTIL THE CEREMONY HAS ENDED AND GRADUATES MARCH-OUT. Please do not enter the backstage area before the ceremony has ended.
- After all graduates have returned to their seats, everyone will be asked to rise for the benediction.
- Graduates will march behind platform guests while Pomp and Circumstance plays and continue through the SOUTH CORRIDOR to the backstage area to return cap and gown and retrieve diploma.
DUE TO LIMITED SPACE, FAMILY AND GUESTS SHOULD NOT ACCOMPANY GRADUATES BACKSTAGE.
RETURNING YOUR GOWN
- You will proceed backstage to return your gown to the appropriate table (return tables will be set up in alphabetical order).
- You must return your gown to the table designated with the first letter of your last name.
- You may keep your cap, tassels, and gold cords. Robes and collars must be returned.
Diplomas & Yearbooks
- After returning gown, you will be given your diploma and a college yearbook at the return stations. Please check the diploma before leaving the return area to be sure it is the correct one.
GRADUATES EXIT COLISEUM
Graduates will exit the backstage area via the west entrance - signage will indicate exit direction.
Thank you for choosing Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College! Congratulations and Best Wishes!