MGCCC No. 3 in NJCAA/JC. Football.com pre-season football poll
August 15, 2008
Bulldogs have four All-Americans on pre-season list
Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College enters the 2008 football season ranked No. 3 in the National Junior College Athletic Association’s (NJCAA) JC.Football.com pre-season football poll. The Bulldogs are coming off a 2007 season which featured an undefeated record (12-0) and the college being named NJCAA and JCFootball.com National Co-Champions along with Butler College (Kansas). The 2007 team also won the college’s first MACJC state title since 1986.
Butler (12-0 in 2007) is the nation’s top-ranked team, with Blinn College (Texas, 7-3 in 2007) at No. 2.
Four Bulldogs players also earned pre-season NJCAA All-American honors. Kicker Sean Brauchle, a sophomore from Biloxi, garnered first-team All-American Honors on offense. In 2007, the 5-foot-10, 180 pounder was also a first-team honoree.
Sophomore linebacker Chris White is a first-team All-American on defense. The 6-foot-4, 235-pound sophomore from Vancleave helped lead a Bulldog defense that ranked No. 1 in the state in rushing defense and total defense.
Meanwhile, sophomore running back/defensive back Demond Washington and offensive lineman P.K. Keyes are second-team All-American honorees. Washington (5’10,” 185 pounds) scored 13 touchdowns in 2007, including two on punt returns. He also ran for 209 yards rushing and 349 total yards in the Bulldogs’ 62-28 C.H.A.M.P.S Heart of Texas Bowl victory over Kilgore College (Tx.).
Keyes (6’4,” 325 pounds), a sophomore from Gulfport, helped a Bulldog offense that outscored its opponents 440-167, with the 440 total being the most in college history.
However, the euphoria of a national championship faded for head football coach Steve Campbell as soon as the Bulldogs began spring drills last April.
“We’ve got to put last year behind us,” he said. “Last year is gone. There are 22 guys on this year’s team who played last year. People talk about ‘repeating’ or whatever…it’s not repeating; it’s doing it again with a fresh start.”
Featured Stories• MGCCC/Co-Lin contest to be aired on 104.9FM
• Week 5 2008 MACJC/Region 23 Football Stats (PDF)
• THIS WEEK IN THE MACJC
• No. 10 MGCCC bounces back with 10-3 win over Pearl River
• East Mississippi shocks No. 2 MGCCC 27-23
• Few Changes to Second NJCAA / JC Football.com Rankings
• MGCCC’S Brauchle named MACJC Special Teams Player of the Week
• No. 2 MGCCC hammers Southwest 40-14
• 'Mount Cody' reaching his peak at Alabama
• Blinn Buccaneers Claim No. 1 Ranking in NJCAA / JC Football.com Top 20
• No. 3 MGCCC routs Itawamba 36-0
• Bulldogs get ready for Itawamba
• Former MGCCC star Savage earns spot with Kansas City Chiefs
• MGCCC pounds Northwest 39-14
• “Bulldog Blitz,” streaming audio both part of 2008 MGCCC football broadcast package
• Bulldogs begin 2008 football practice
• MGCCC No. 3 in NJCAA/JC. Football.com pre-season football poll
Other Bulldog News• D'Haquille Williams decommits from LSU
• Could be more to high school state tests than meets the eye
• Auburn Football: Gus Malzahn's Recruiting Bodes Well for Tigers' Future
• In the FCS Huddle: The next step is hardest
• No excuse for boredom this summer
• Propst pleased with turnout of rising ninth-graders
• D'haquille Williams to LSU: Tigers Reportedly Land 5-Star JUCO WR Prospect
• Derrick Moncrief Commits to Auburn: Tigers Land No. 1 JUCO Safety
• LSU Football Recruiting 2014: Updates on Commits, Visits and Offers
• Pascagoula mom mourns son lost in river accident