MGCCC pounds Northwest 39-14
August 29, 2008
The 2008 football season for Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College began the same way the 2007 campaign started…and for the defending NJCAA National Champion Bulldogs, that’s a good thing.
Freshman quarterback Greg Jenkins threw for two touchdowns and ran for another as No. 3 ranked Gulf Coast whipped Northwest 39-14 Aug. 28 at Senatobia. It was the 13th consecutive win by the Bulldogs dating back to the 2007 season.
“The guys came out and played hard, and I was pleased with their effort,” said Gulf Coast head coach Steve Campbell. “The guys played hard, but we’re not there yet. We made way too many mistakes. It wasn’t mid-season form, so I’m glad we’re not in mid-season.”
On the Bulldogs second offensive series of the game, Jenkins found wideout Kevin Barkley on a 40-yard pass-and-catch to set up the Bulldogs deep in Northwest territory.
Jenkins finished the drive with a 4-yard scoring run to make it 7-0 Gulf Coast.
Gulf Coast (1-0) would cash in just minutes later after a blocked punt and a short touchdown pass from Jenkins to tight end Kevin Helms. Brandon Johnson caught a pass from Josh Nelson after a botched snap on the extra point, and the Bulldogs led 15-0.
In the second quarter, Gulf Coast defensive back Dameon Jackson intercepted a pass by Northwest quarterback Casey Weston and returned it deep into Ranger territory.
Jenkins then found Brett Moncrief on a 37-yard touchdown pass to make it 22-0 Bulldogs.
Northwest then took the ensuing kickoff deep into Gulf Coast territory and answered with a 6-yard TD run by Tijuan Green making it 22-7 at halftime.
In the third quarter, Dameon Jackson intercepted his second pass of the game to shut down a Ranger drive, and then freshman running back Vic Ballard broke loose on a 40-yard TD scamper to make it 29-7 Gulf Coast.
“It felt good,” Ballard said. “This is my first college football game. We got started early, and then we started rolling after that.”
Another blocked punt by the Bulldog special teams led to a 5-ayrd TD pass from Jenkins to Brandon Johnson making it 36-7.
Northwest scored a fourth quarter touchdown, and NJCAA Pre-Season All-American kicker Sean Brauchle booted a 37-yard field goal for Gulf Coast to make the final 39-14.
Gulf Coast is now 4-1 in season openers under Steve Campbell.
“With all the rain we’ve been having in South Mississippi, we were only able to have one really good scrimmage,” he said. “This was a chance for us to get some good work in. They guys stuck together as a team, and I’m very excited about this win.”
Gulf Coast travels to Itawamba Sept. 4. Bulldog fans can catch all the action on WAOY 91.7 FM. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
Featured Stories• MGCCC/Co-Lin contest to be aired on 104.9FM
• Week 5 2008 MACJC/Region 23 Football Stats (PDF)
• THIS WEEK IN THE MACJC
• No. 10 MGCCC bounces back with 10-3 win over Pearl River
• East Mississippi shocks No. 2 MGCCC 27-23
• Few Changes to Second NJCAA / JC Football.com Rankings
• MGCCC’S Brauchle named MACJC Special Teams Player of the Week
• No. 2 MGCCC hammers Southwest 40-14
• 'Mount Cody' reaching his peak at Alabama
• Blinn Buccaneers Claim No. 1 Ranking in NJCAA / JC Football.com Top 20
• No. 3 MGCCC routs Itawamba 36-0
• Bulldogs get ready for Itawamba
• Former MGCCC star Savage earns spot with Kansas City Chiefs
• MGCCC pounds Northwest 39-14
• “Bulldog Blitz,” streaming audio both part of 2008 MGCCC football broadcast package
• Bulldogs begin 2008 football practice
• MGCCC No. 3 in NJCAA/JC. Football.com pre-season football poll
Other Bulldog News• Could be more to high school state tests than meets the eye
• Grantham responds to Muschamp, says he has confidence in Bulldogs' defense
• Auburn Football: Gus Malzahn's Recruiting Bodes Well for Tigers' Future
• In the FCS Huddle: The next step is hardest
• No excuse for boredom this summer
• Propst pleased with turnout of rising ninth-graders
• D'haquille Williams to LSU: Tigers Reportedly Land 5-Star JUCO WR Prospect
• Derrick Moncrief Commits to Auburn: Tigers Land No. 1 JUCO Safety
• Nick Saban's Ga. mountain mansion to be auctioned
• LSU Football Recruiting 2014: Updates on Commits, Visits and Offers