MGCCC Bulldogs get ready for Itawamba
September 5, 2008
A football team lives and dies by its routine…and when the routine gets interrupted, the team falls out of sync.
For Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, Hurricane Gustav’s extended visit to South Mississippi certainly counts as a routine-buster. The 1-0 Bulldogs scattered all over the southeast during evacuations for Gustav and practiced everywhere from the Weathers/Wentzell Center on the college’s Perkinston Campus to the field turf at Biloxi High School. The team’s Sept. 4 road trip to 0-1 Itawamba was pushed back to Sept. 6 thanks to three days of heavy rain, wind, and the threat of tornadoes.
“We had players here in the area, and some as far away as Jacksonville and Baltimore,” said Gulf Coast head coach Steve Campbell. “It took two days just to get everybody back. We went five days without doing anything football related. It’s going to be tough to get into game shape before Saturday.”
Gulf Coast, ranked No. 3 in the latest NJCAA/ JC.Football.com poll, is coming off a 39-14 win over Northwest Aug. 28.
“You always want to make the most improvement between your first and second games,” Campbell said. “With the way this week has gone, who knows what to expect on Saturday.”
The Bulldogs take on an Itawamba squad that dropped a 38-7 decision to Jones last week. However, Campbell said that doesn’t mean the Indians won’t be ready to play the defending NJCAA Co-National Champions.
“Itawamba is a perennial playoff team,” he said. “If we’re not ready to play, it’s going to be a long bus ride home.”
Bulldog fans can listen to the game on 91.7 FM WAOY, and via streaming audio at www.mgccc.edu. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. in Fulton.
Featured Stories• MGCCC/Co-Lin contest to be aired on 104.9FM
• Week 5 2008 MACJC/Region 23 Football Stats (PDF)
• THIS WEEK IN THE MACJC
• No. 10 MGCCC bounces back with 10-3 win over Pearl River
• East Mississippi shocks No. 2 MGCCC 27-23
• Few Changes to Second NJCAA / JC Football.com Rankings
• MGCCC’S Brauchle named MACJC Special Teams Player of the Week
• No. 2 MGCCC hammers Southwest 40-14
• 'Mount Cody' reaching his peak at Alabama
• Blinn Buccaneers Claim No. 1 Ranking in NJCAA / JC Football.com Top 20
• No. 3 MGCCC routs Itawamba 36-0
• Bulldogs get ready for Itawamba
• Former MGCCC star Savage earns spot with Kansas City Chiefs
• MGCCC pounds Northwest 39-14
• “Bulldog Blitz,” streaming audio both part of 2008 MGCCC football broadcast package
• Bulldogs begin 2008 football practice
• MGCCC No. 3 in NJCAA/JC. Football.com pre-season football poll
Other Bulldog News• D'Haquille Williams decommits from LSU
• Could be more to high school state tests than meets the eye
• Auburn Football: Gus Malzahn's Recruiting Bodes Well for Tigers' Future
• In the FCS Huddle: The next step is hardest
• No excuse for boredom this summer
• Propst pleased with turnout of rising ninth-graders
• D'haquille Williams to LSU: Tigers Reportedly Land 5-Star JUCO WR Prospect
• Derrick Moncrief Commits to Auburn: Tigers Land No. 1 JUCO Safety
• EMCC?s Roberts chosen to All-Region 23
• LSU Football Recruiting 2014: Updates on Commits, Visits and Offers