WHAT IS COLLEGIATE ACADEMY?
Collegiate Academy allows students to simultaneously earn a high school diploma and an associate degree. The student body consists of high school juniors and seniors enrolled in dual-credit courses at their high school and MGCCC.
HIGHLIGHTS OF COLLEGIATE ACADEMY
- Expands learning opportunities for highly motivated students.
- Provides up to 60 hours of transferable college credit to universities and/or an industry certification credential.
HOW DO YOU BECOME PART OF COLLEGIATE ACADEMY?
- Meet all eligibility criteria for dual credit/dual enrollment.
- Be a high school junior (14 core Carnegie units) in good standing, with a GPA of 3.0 or above.*
- Submit an unconditional written recommendation from your high school principal or guidance counselor.
- Demonstrate appropriate, responsible, and respectful behavior on the high school campus.
- Demonstrate the maturity to cope with the challenges and relative freedom of a college environment.
*Alternative admission is possible with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0 and a minimum composite ACT score of 30 or equivalent SAT score.
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT AFTER COMPLETION OF COLLEGIATE ACADEMY?
- High school graduation
- Associate degree from college and/or industry certification credentials
- Scholarship opportunities
- Accumulation of up to 60 college credits and/or industry certification credentials
- Strong connection and identification with a community of learners.
- Increased maturity, independence, and evidence of coping skills
CUSTOMIZATION & FLEXIBILITY
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT WHEN TAKING CLASSES IN COLLEGIATE ACADEMY?
- MGCCC works with you and your high school counselor to customize your educational journey.
- In addition to flexible course scheduling, you will experience a rigorous college curriculum taught by expert faculty.
- You will have access to a cadre of student service professionals for assistance with university transfer advising.
- You can be involved in high school activities and, if desired, college activities – excluding college athletics.
- You will experience a refreshing challenge, plus receive individual attention through faculty tutoring in the Learning Lab.
WHAT CAN A SCHOOL DISTRICT EXPECT AS A PARTNER WITH COLLEGIATE ACADEMY?
- MGCCC works with each school district to customize Collegiate Academy.
- The curriculum can be customized within degree requirements to meet the needs of the district. This includes the new Mississippi Graduation Requirements with Endorsement Options, excluding most health care programs.
- Students attend normal high school activities (athletics, band, choir, etc.) and organize college classes to fit within their schedules.
- Classes are taught at the high school (up to 29 credit hours), at an MGCCC campus, and online.
Become part of COLLEGIATE ACADEMY
- A customized high school experience with the rigor of college.
- A transition to college in a flexible, supportive, and academically enriched environment.
- A chance to get a head start on a college degree while earning a high school diploma.
- An environment that surrounds students with positive role models, helps them acclimate to college-level standards, and engages full immersion into both the high school and collegiate environment.