INSTRUCTIONS FOR GRADUATION CANDIDATES
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE COMMENCEMENT
Thursday, May 11, 2017
Mississippi Coast Coliseum ~ Highway 90, Biloxi, MS
Please read instructions CAREFULLY. There will be no rehearsal for Graduation Ceremony.
CAP & GOWN PICK-UP
If you indicated on your application for graduation that you will be participating in the commencement ceremony, your cap and gown will be available for pick-up at the campus you attend as indicated on your application. (see dates and times below).
Students graduating with HONORS or SPECIAL HONORS will pick-up gold tassel and/or cords at the coliseum on May 11 prior to the ceremony along with cards for the reader to announce your name as you walk across the stage.
May 1 – 8
Monday through Friday
8:30 am – 4:00 pm
|JACKSON COUNTY CAMPUS
Student Service Center
Huff Hall, Admissions Office
|JEFFERSON DAVIS CAMPUS, KEESLER CENTER & NAVY BASE
Student Services U-202
|GEORGE COUNTY CENTER
Student Services Building
Students can pick up the Military Honor Cords at the Military Services Center on your campus from May 2nd thru May 9th from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM. Students must present Military ID or a DD-214.
Invitations are available for purchase through your campus bookstore through April 17.
- 10 Invitations with envelopes $10
- 20 Invitations with envelopes $15
- 40 Invitations with envelopes $30
- 50 Invitations with envelopes $35
Complete the order form and bring it to your bookstore to complete your purchase. Invitations will be available for pick-up after April 24.
A printable invitation is also available in PDF format.
Provided by Candid Campus Photography
Thursday, May 11, 2017 (prior to ceremony)
4 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.
Mississippi Coast Coliseum Student Line-Up Area
Photograph Receiving Diploma
When your diploma is presented to you, the photographer will capture the image (smile, and keep your tassel to the side). The photographer will mail color proofs after graduation should you wish to purchase a photo.
LIVE STREAMING & VIDEO
- Coliseum doors will open at 4:00 p.m. for candidates who wish to sit for a graduation portrait.
- ARRIVE BEFORE OR BY 5:45 P.M. ON THURSDAY, MAY 11
- ALL CANDIDATES FOR GRADUATION MUST ENTER AT THE SOUTH ENTRANCE OF THE COLISEUM. THIS IS NOT AN ENTRANCE FOR GUESTS! GUESTS ENTER THROUGH THE NORTH ENTRANCE.
- Pick-up your reader card and honors regalia (if applicable) when you arrive. From there, you will be directed to the line-up area.
- Graduates, park in the WEST and SOUTH PARKING LOT, and enter on the south side.
- GUESTS arriving in cars separate from the candidates should be told ahead of time by the candidates to park in those areas and enter the coliseum on the north side.
- Prepare to be standing for a long period of time and walking. Wear comfortable shoes.
- You should hang your cap and gown on a hanger a few days prior to graduation to allow time for the wrinkles to release. The gowns are rented and must be returned; therefore, THEY MAY NOT BE ALTERED.
- ARRIVE AT THE COLISEUM NO LATER THAN 5:45 P.M. CORRECTLY DRESSED IN CAPS AND GOWNS.
- Female candidates should wear dark shoes and dresses of a length that will not show below the hemlines of their graduation gowns.
- Male candidates should wear dark slacks, white or light colored shirts, ties and appropriate dark shoes. Male graduates should remove their caps during the invocation and benediction.
- The tassel on the cap should hang left front, halfway between the corners. Honor graduates (GPA 3.3 – 3.7) will wear the gold tassel instead of the blue that comes with the cap. Graduates with high honors (GPA 3.7 – 4.0) will wear the gold tassel and the gold chord.
- Phi Theta Kappa and Alpha Beta Gamma inductees have the option of wearing honor society stoles.
- Members of the Armed Forces have the option of wearing red, white, and blue honor cords. Please contact the VA School Certifying Official on your campus for further instructions.
Providing your guests with these instructions will make their experience more enjoyable.
- The Mississippi Coast Coliseum does not allow balloons in the arena. Please do not bring balloons to the coliseum.
- Coliseum doors will open at 4:00 p.m.
- Ceremony events will begin promptly at 6:30 p.m. Guests should allow time for travel and parking. Traffic becomes extremely heavy between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. parking is difficult. Commencement begins at 7 p.m.
- PARKING: Guests should park in the WEST PARKING LOT
- ENTRANCE: Guests should enter through the NORTH ENTRANCE. Guests MAY NOT enter the South entrance with graduates.
- FOLLOWING THE CEREMONY: PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE STAGE AREA.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS FOR DISABLED GUESTS
- Guests with physical disabilities who cannot climb the stairs to seating should enter designated area for seating. Limited handicapped seating is available on the coliseum floor. One additional person may accompany disabled guests in handicapped seating area. Handicapped seating is also available on the terrace level behind sections 6, 9, 20 and 22. Elevators are located in both lobbies (Please see an usher if you need assistance).
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS FOR GRADUATES WITH DISABILITIES OR SPECIAL NEEDS
Candidates who need accommodations due to physical disabilities should notify Disability Support Specialist at the appropriate campus by May 2. In addition, if you have mobility issues, trouble standing or walking for more than 5 minutes, or require more than one chair please contact the Disability Support Specialist.
- Candidates and their guests should conduct themselves in a dignified manner, respecting the rights of others at the ceremony.
- Cell phones should be silenced.
- Please pay attention to the row monitors who will sit to the left and right of the graduate seating. They will direct you to stand and sit at the appropriate time. In addition, the podium speaker will also have instructions for you, please pay attention.
4:00 p.m. – 5:45 p.m.
- Arrive at coliseum and enter through the SOUTH ENTRANCE.
- Pick-up your reader cards
- Sit for graduation portrait (optional) on the first level/backstage.
5:45 p.m. – 6:20 p.m.
- You will line up in alphabetic order. (You will hand this card to the college employee on stage. The college employee will read your name from the cards as you march across the stage. If your name is difficult to pronounce, please provide the phonetic spelling below your name). College employees will be available to organize the lineup.
6:20 p.m. – 6:45 p.m.
- Remain in your designated area and be prepared to process
- Processional begins. Students will march onto the coliseum floors in rows of two behind the platform guests. Floor Marshalls will guide you to the appropriate row.
- Walk to the end of the row and remain standing until the invocation has been given.
- Candidates will march in, following the platform guest and sit in the front section of chairs surrounded by the green curtain on the Coliseum floor.
- After entering, candidates will remain standing until the invocation has been given. Candidates will remain seated during the speaker’s presentations.
- At the conclusion of the presentation, the President will ask all candidates to stand to have their degrees conferred.
CROSSING THE STAGE
- WATCH THE ROW MONITORS. Each row of graduates will stand, walk together in a single file line to the stage ramp.
- Hand your name cards to the college employee as you approach the stage.
- When your name is called, walk onto the stage, shake President Dr. Mary S. Graham’s hand, receive a diploma case, (photographer will snap photo) walk off the stage and return to your seat. (Your diploma will not be in the case that you receive. You will pick-up your diploma following commencement when you return your gown).
- DIPLOMAS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE UNTIL THE CEREMONY HAS ENDED AND GRADUATES MARCH-OUT. Please do not enter the backstage area before the ceremony has ended.
- After all graduates have returned to their seats, everyone will be asked to rise for the benediction.
- Graduates will march behind platform guests while Pomp and Circumstance plays and continue through the SOUTH CORRIDOR to the backstage area to return gowns and retrieve diploma.
DUE TO LIMITED SPACE, FAMILY AND GUESTS SHOULD NOT ACCOMPANY GRADUATES BACKSTAGE.
RETURNING YOUR GOWN
- You will proceed backstage to return your gown to the appropriate table (return tables will be set up in alphabetical order).
- You must return your gown to the table designated with the first letter of your last name.
- You may keep your cap, tassels, and gold cords. Robes and collars must be returned.
DIPLOMAS & YEARBOOKS
- After returning gown, you will be given your diploma and a college yearbook. Please check the diploma before leaving the return area to be sure it is correct.
GRADUATES EXIT COLISEUM
Graduates will exit the backstage area via the west entrance – signage will indicate exit direction.
Thank you for choosing Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College! Congratulations and Best Wishes!